Total Pageviews

Monday 21 January 2019

It’s that time of year again.

Yes, mid January and time for marmalade making, Ian’s annual visit to the independent greengrocers in our town, once known as Cousins as it was owned by cousins, now one of them has given his name to the shop, Paul Cooper. Forty years ago there was an estate agent in the same town, we bought our first home from them, they aren’t in business now and the greengrocer is too young to be the same guy.

Anyway back to the marmalade making, today I’ve cut up the first three pounds of oranges and a large lemon, they are soaking ready for making tomorrow.  When I mentioned to a friend that I would be cutting up the oranges today she said commiserated with me, certainly not needed as I enjoy sitting at the kitchen table, radio or iPad to hand for a missed TV programme, or indeed just with my thoughts, admiring the varying shades orange, wondering why one orange had no pips, all those inconsequential thoughts that float in one’s mind.


,
Very old shopping basket, we have two, one was mine and the other was my Mum’s, very useful for storing fruit and vegetables in our larder. 















1 comment:

  1. I've made two batches so far, making 17 pots. We reckon a pot lasts about ten days, so I'll do the same again.

    I boil the fruit whole nowadays - I thought for many years that it would be sticky and messy, but I find it a lot easier, after all. Your preserving pan is pretty full!

    ReplyDelete