Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 January 2019

Happiness

Last Wednesday I saw a muscular skeletal physio lady who was critical of my black, flat heeled knee high boots, was slightly appalled that I am barefoot wherever possible in the Summer and recommend a lace up style shoe with a slight heel to counteract the effect of Achilles tendinitis and hip problem. Needless to say I didn’t admit that I lived in my lovely flat, sheepskin slippers over Christmas and New Year, I didn’t go outside for about nine days, quite happy hunkered down in the warmth, busyness and yarny world of Pixie Towers.

So, after my session at Local Studies yesterday I attacked the shoe shops,well just one, because the first one I entered had racks of sale shoes and joy of joy, the first pair I tried fitted, didn’t rub, weren’t too wide, are lace up, have a slight heel, are black suede so a little boring, DD suggested coloured laces.  Let me explain why all this gave such joy and pleasure, it is so rare an occurrence, my feet are long, narrow, size 7 now, used to be an 8 but I have shrunk, I have a high instep, much as I would like to I cannot wear a court shoe, I always need support. Most shoe purchases have been sheer luck especially when I haven’t been looking but just see something by chance. I still adore my red suede Mary Janes bought in Jones the bookmakers sale, they do have slight heel and are fun, each time I wear them I receive favourable comments.

I wore these new shoes today to go to Knitting & Crochet Guild meeting in Kingston, no one saw my cosy warm feet tucked under the table but the happiness was there, I walked the nearly half a mile from the bus stop home and my feet didn’t ache, there was no pain and I didn’t turn my ankle once. All this may sound very silly but this experience has made me so joyful, I recall even as a teenager not being able to wear fashionable or stylish shoes so as an old lady I’m quite grateful that clumpy lace ups are acceptable even with dresses and skirts, I’m not a trouser person.

Finally a couple of photos, retrieved from WhatsApp to show DD the footwear.





3 comments:

  1. I think they look so lovely♥ Great to see you back again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a great pair of shoes (or any other item of clothing we really NEED) feels good, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had a bad hip, I couldn't wear heels but I couldn't wear a completely flat shoe either. I never go barefoot for two reasons - one, that we have gravel and it tends to get trodden in and two, that I have several friends who've broken toes against furniture indoors. Nowadays, I really only like wearing heels - not especially high ones - but can rarely find shoes I like, so tend to go straight from sandals to boots, summer and winter. I love my lace-up boots from Celtic & Co.

    ReplyDelete