Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 January 2019

Getting on with things.

A long time ago when I retired I vowed to keep learning new skills, last year I conquered the basics for solving sudoku puzzles, quickest are the easy ones in the Metro, some labelled moderate are doable, I spend much time attempting them using two methods, dots to show numbers that are possible, I call this chicken pox method or I list the numbers missing, this clarifies my thoughts and I see if there is a pattern so for me the better way. Sometimes I end up giving the puzzle to Ian, he checks to see if I have filled the answers in correctly before swiftly completing it. Here is a man who can do fiendish sudoku. Wow.

Newspaper and magazine reading take up time, on Monday we shopped in Waitrose so apart from the regular paper we have on subscription, there was a second newspaper, a magazine plugging ITV programmes and interviews with glamorous persons and a healthy living magazine plugging unusual foods and some weird exercise regimes.  It was Tuesday morning before I read the newspapers, attempted the “quick” crossword, didn’t bother with the politics, it maybe wrong but I’m much in the “whatever will be will be” camp now. Now why didn’t I read the papers on Monday evening? Well, apart from Only Connect and Uni Challenge there is the current addictive Crochet Project. Capitals I know, but it is so hugely satisfying, enjoyable, easy and comforting, so much just pick it up for a few moments and do a few stitches and leave the ironing and correspondence for another day. Even the names of the colours are soothing, candy floss is the present delight, there was blush, cream and blush is to come.






Photo is a bit dark, colours will be on Stitchcraft site and all the FB discussion groups - wow that’s another way of losing time. Rather than send Christmas cards by snail mail, I intended to write a short letter to email, haven’t got far with that, when I do I could refer them to here, but I won’t. It reeks of the boastful round robins that came with cards, I did enjoy them though. 





2 comments:

  1. I love receiving (and sending) snail mail cards at Christmas and for birthdays! One of my uncles in Yorkshire used to send a round robin every year, and I enjoyed reading that very much. He has stopped now, as he finds typing hard work with arthritic fingers.
    The description of the magazine with "weird exercise regimes" made me laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim had a total blind spot about Sudoku, because he assumed it was arithmetical and he had had a maths teacher he truly loathed. Once I pointed out it wasn't, just symbols, he took to them - he does the ones in his paper and mine every day now!

    ReplyDelete