Total Pageviews

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Reminiscing


Was looking back at my diary for 50 years ago when the calendar lined up with this year, well from 1st March as 1962 wasn't a leap year. Easy to remember a leap year, it is the last year of a US president's four year term of office.

A few other differences, 1962 half term was a week earlier than this year, we had just three days break, spent on a geography field study in Surrey. Holmbury St Mary youth hostel was my first experience of youth hostelling, I noted we sat on the scarp slope of Box Hill to eat lunch on the first day. Delights of the second day included drinking cider at the Stephen Langton pub in Friday Street, we're talking fifth years here so aged 15 or 16 with one teacher.

We were cut off from news, so we returned home to hear about the Cuban crisis although nothing is recorded about this in my diary, cannot decide whether I wasn't interested or it didn't impact on my world.

Looking at the entry for Tuesday 6th November, I record meals, bacon and egg for breakfast; school, the Headmistress said the hockey team was no good - didn't work as a team. She was right, we had a match that afternoon to which we travelled by bus, lost 4 - 0 and "home in Miss H*'s car. Lessons that day included French "went on with verbs"; Scripture "finished yesterday's work & started transformation" [Yesterday's Scripture work was about events at Caesarea Philippi] and in Geography started SW Peninsula. "As usual a good lesson". No idea why I wrote that, nor any indication as to what a good lesson was. 

Back to my Blog of today and Day 18 of Knitting Purchased wool for another pair of socks, just £6.00, Stylecraft Aviemore 4ply superwash 75% wool and 25% nylon in the local garden centre after lunch with ladies from the church. The wool, pink and grey random dyes comes in one 100g ball so will be unable to knit both socks simultaneously so careful row counting will be needed. First have to finish the pair I have on the needles. So stopping here to dash away with the smoothing iron and will knit this evening.

4 comments:

  1. How fascinating to be able to go back to your own diary from 50 years ago!
    I wonder whether I will be able to read my own blog in, say, 20 years' time, or whether technology will have undergone such drastic developments as the internet as we know it today being a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a glimmer in my fathers' eye that year,, I was born 12 months later. Good to have a record of 'memories'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - some excellent memories to have. Just for the record half term was late this year - not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never known such a late half term as in the Autumn term this year, in all 30 years of Darling daughter's life her birthday has always been in half term. This year it was not so, neither was it British Summer Term either, the clocks were changed the weekend the children broke up.

    ReplyDelete