Total Pageviews

Monday 19 March 2012

Prizes and presents

MONDAY, 19th March 2012


Simple Woman's Daybook: 19th March

 

Outside My Window ... sunshine and warmth. Plus, the usual learner drivers, our quiet suburban estate is part of the driving test so lots of practising goes on around here.
 I am thinking ... about last Friday's quiz evening organised by Friends of Strawberry Hill. Very jolly evening, saw folk we know, had a good Ploughman's supper. Our team was crestfallen when it was announced that the theme was in tribute to an event in 2012, unfortunately not the Jubilee but the Olympics. All sorts of stuff about the Olympics, even the original ones so it was not a great surprise that we won the Booby prize - yes - won by over 10 points from the team ahead of us. Ian leapt onto the stage with great joy to collect our table's reward.


From the learning rooms ... well Ian's maths continue; I consider I have learnt new skills from knitting the child's jacket.

I am thankful ...  to Martha for her kindness in giving me such a lovely gift for Mothering Sunday.

This has taught me not to be too rigid in my thinking, for many years I have said to the PixieKids that I don't wish for any recognition of Mothering Sunday but that they treat us with kindness and respect at all times. That was the mantra for many years, but yesterday I realised it is up to them to decide what, if anything, they do to mark the day. I hadn't gone to church, that is upsetting as I think about my own mother and the whole thing is quite emotional with all those kids so I was taken aback when a box of goodies was delivered. It contained a miniature pink rose, bottle of Italian rosé and chocolate truffles. Even before this package of kindness I had been given a card too.


From the kitchen ... nothing much happening; lunch has been cooked and eaten and all evidence to the same has been cleared away.

I am wearing ... Blue jeans and pink polo neck jumper.

I am creating ... Hexipuffs and a baby jacket. For the latter just need to cast off collar, sew remaining seams, attach buttons and my personal label.
I am reading ... The Help, not just reading but listening to the download whilst I knit. Multi tasking at its best.

I am hoping ... that Martha will be able to exchange and complete her property purchase before Saturday. Even better would be if the Chancellor's Budget extends the stamp duty exemption for first time buyers. Saturday was spent in IKEA whilst Martha chose essential furniture, fortunately the cousins live nearby so reviving tea and cakes were served whilst we watched England win. Great amusement at IKEA, an announcement was made for Chardonnay's parents, all this time I had thought this name was just an urban legend. (No offence to any of my readers who have this name in their families)

I am hearing ... banging and noise from the building site that is the next property. We have endured this since last June, the result is overbearing and not in sympathy with the 1930s streetscape. 

One of my favourite things ... chocolate truffles

A Picture Thought I Am Sharing ... 

 not very clear picture of the singers and orchestra at the concert held on 10th March in aid of Pancreatic Cancer. Apparently the money raised in Gemma's memory was £3,336. The purple is not for Lent but is Pancreatic Cancer UK colour.
Now to complete the jacket, will photograph it and you can see it on the next blog.


1 comment:

  1. I might well score a duck in a quiz about the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete