Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 March 2020

What to do?

All around the world the Coronavirus is discussed, comparison is made with flu and other illnesses, age plays a part in the jigsaw for it appears I have reason to be concerned, I have COPD, or asthma or bronchiectasis,  (no one is ever quite sure), except that I do get very breathless, have just finished a dose of antibiotics and am old/elderly/ancient. Already I have postponed a dentist appointment after hearing that one floor of the building in which the dentist is situated has had to be deep cleaned. Now I’m concerned about using the Underground and indeed South Western Railway, concerned about going  into London or indeed using public transport at all. So far I’m continuing social gatherings, last Wednesday saw me in the local Costa where the knitting group meet, this coming week a group of us gather in a garden centre cafe bar, today we were at church, in the Peace gave DH usual hug, avoided hand shaking, it was easy to do as I was on Sidesman duty.

We had hoped to go out to the local park today for exercise for the grandchildren who have graced us with their presence this weekend, however heavy rain in the afternoon precluded this. Instead they invented a game based on the fact that GS had been taught about volcanoes so all the cushions they found downstairs became lava, not quite sure what role their blankets played.




 Not very clear but in first and third photo the cushions are piled up to be the volcano, in the second photo the items on the floor represent lava. No, I’m not sure really how it all works but it kept them happy whilst heavy rain and sunshine alternated. DH played chess with both children, fortunately we have two chess sets, later Alice now 3 years old, insisted I read the Usborne Starting Chess to her, she was telling me what the pieces were, she knew how to move them too, more than I do! DS started playing chess at 3, fortunately we have the top junior chess club locally so DS was able to join that when he was 6 - all a long time ago.



2 comments:

  1. I depend on public transport almost every day to get to work and back, and have been doing that for decades. Of course I have always been used to washing my hands afterwards, and I'm not any more worried about catching anything on the train than I would be at this time of the year anyway. But then of course I am not in a high risk group, which makes a difference.
    Love the lava game - it sounds like the kind of game I created when I was a kid. As for chess, I'm afraid I am too lazy to exert my mind that way, but I admire anyone who can play it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very worrying, though part of me thinks there is too much scare-mongering. I'm technically at risk as well, and have started avoiding buses if possible. That can only benefit my health in various ways. I have a theatre visit booked for next week and don't know if my slightly elderly companion will want to go. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete