Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 January 2020

Cushions, crochet and other thoughts.

One reason I do not go to yarn shows like Unravel, Wonderwool is because there is so much yarn in my stash, because I have plenty of projects on which I’m working, like two Attic24 blankets, a second pair of  Tramlines socks by Maria Higgs, and so far two new crochet cushion covers using Rowan big wool and 7mm crochet hook.  Crochet eats up yarn, especially Big Yarn that is just what I need to clear my stash with the intention of just buying yarn for the next project.






These cushions are for our kitchen chairs to replace some purchased through eBay chosen for their swan silhouette design, the fabric has worn, different colours and designs have been used for the crochet covers, linked by use of treble stitch each time, the design is governed by colours of yarn available. The blue cushion fits the kitchen colour scheme - so what - for the golden one and others yet to be made rogue colours add some fun. The starting chain was about 70 stitches.

So what else has been happening at Pixie Towers? Marmalade making, about 20lbs of oranges have been purchased, 5 batches have been made so far,  maybe one or two batches to finish for this year depending on quantities of lemons added.  This year I’ve made the marmalade thicker, not so runny more set. As we made many jars of damson jam last summer more jars were required for marmalade, we cleared Staines branch of Hobbycraft out of these jars. These have ounce markings in the glass, 12 oz at the top although they will hold a greater amount than this.

Must add, we’ve started digging into this jar, I did fill it right to the top, tastes even better when spread on bread made by Ian. 







3 comments:

  1. Love the golden yellow of the cushion cover! I can imagine the variety of cushions looks really cheerful in your kitchen.
    Although I hardly ever have jam or marmalade, the scent when one is making it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never learned to crochet, which I rather regret. I like to colours too.

    I resist making much jam as we don't eat it often. I made redcurrant jelly and quince jelly as you can have them with meat. I made more marmalade last year than we needed, so 25 pound jars this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *the* colours, of course!

    ReplyDelete