Total Pageviews

Wednesday 13 March 2019






There is much discussion about links between mental and physical health, this week I had personal experience of how the two are linked. Way back last year Daughter-in-law asked me to crochet her a blanket, the grandchildren have theirs, Son has his camp blanket from Scouting days, she would like her own. Lucy Attic24’s Moorland blanket was chosen,  yarn purchased and I started the difficult for me wavy pattern.  The mantra was learnt, 2 double crochet, 2 half trebles, 2 trebles, 2 half trebles, 2 double crochet done over 4 rows so the highs and lows balanced out. I struggled, the fabric produced seemed thick and heavy, my heart wasn’t in it but I had promised a blanket and this blanket with the colour sequence matching the Yorkshire moorland was her choice.

J



Along came the Sweet Pea blanket, light airy and a very simple trellis pattern, I succumbed to the yarn pack and the CAL, so enjoying working on this meditative crochet, however as it is too big to take to a Knit and Natter, especially in a cafe with food and drink so I resorted to taking the moorland blanket instead as it is much smaller. Chatting as one does I mentioned my difficulties with the work, Jean suggested such an obvious solution, make the moorland blanket using the trellis stitch.  Wow, why didn’t I think of that? It was meant, for in my bag was the colour yarn with which one starts a Moorland, this was the next colour I should have used, The garden centre where we meet has a haberdashery section, sells Stylecraft yarn too so I purchased a size 5mm hook, for the Sweet Pea I
had crocheted a swatch so now knew that 4mm hook had caused the tension problem. I was able to crochet the starting chain, usual difficulties of making it long enough but I’m there, ready to start the next colour.

Health wise, I don’t feel sick when I think about the Moorland blanket but am keen to work on it,  for it can be a portable project for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment