Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 February 2019

In town yesterday

Yesterday, Saturday, daughter and I went to the Victoria & Albert Museum to see the Dior exhibition, a long planned excursion, DD purchased tickets without realising her Mama was a Friend of the Museum and we could just swan in without pre-booking. At the last minute a friend whom I hadn’t asked as I didn’t think it was her ‘thing’ came up trumps and bought the tickets, I was so pleased, no rush, no pressure of a timed entry, we had a leisurely stroll from South Ken station, knitting on the train attracted no attention, progress was made on the hexipuffs which will form a cushion cover.

There has been much written praising the exhibition, all the positive reviews are right, the styles reminded me of dresses worn by my mother in the 50s, the quantities of fabric for full skirts, tiny waists  formed by uncomfortable girdles and underpinnings. How formally everyone dressed, the gloves, the hats, the heels. As one reviewer pointed out the conversations of the visitors was fascinating, but so were the comparisons with today’s dress for going into Town compared with earlier times. Perhaps I was a teeny bit influenced by seeing a little of Brief Encounter on TV, just how smartly dressed was Celia Johnson?

Very impressed, a dress named after me, apologies for the darkness, the dress and accessories were grey which helped obscure the image. Didn’t take many photos, I intend to go back, maybe on a weekday which could be less busy.





1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love the style of those times! But of course I value being comfortable and less formal most of the time, although I do dress a bit formally for work, being a consultant I always have to make a good impression with my clients. But gloves and hats... no, only in winter against the cold!

    ReplyDelete