Total Pageviews

Saturday, 8 November 2014

Beekeeper's Quilt.

Oodles of happiness here today as after 3 years and 3 months I completed the Beekeeper's Quilt. It started as a project to use up ends of sock yarn, at the time I had made just three pairs, most of the other 4ply yarn has come from other sources. 

The picture was taken by Ian standing on a chair, the quilt is on our hall floor, I will attempts have more photos of it in place,  am so delighted that it has turned out well. 

I have sewn it up using mattress stitch so the puffs butt up against each other, rather than following the instructions to tie them together at the corners. It has made for a less floppy, more solid quilt that is lovely and warm. 

I would like this to become a family heirloom, passed down the generations, like my mother's christening robe, first used in 1916, and made from a boderie anglais dress worn by my grandmother's bridesmaid when my maternal grandparents married in May 1914. 


  1. Congratulations! 3 years and 3 months - now, that's what I call a long-term-project! It looks great, and I love it that you have not followed the original instructions but instead turned it into a solid, warm quilt.

  2. That just looks beautiful! I love the idea that the christening robe from 1916 was made from a dress worn by your grandmother's bridesmaid. What a treasure -- what provenance!

  3. Now it's finished you will need to think up a new travelling project. Well done for sticking to it, it was worth it, the quilt looks lovely!

  4. That's wonderful, well done! It will be treasured for generations to come, I'm sure.