Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Chatting about stuff


Wednesday, SEPTEMBER 26, 2012

This Week: 26th September 2012


The weather ... Wet and windy with gales and some very heavy downpours.

I am wearing ...  black East dress, orangy-red CC cardigan and brightly coloured Tradecraft scarf. Dress is so comfortable, not fitted at waistline, I dislike the feeling on being strapped into tight clothes.

I am reading ... Salmon fishing in the Yemen, haven't read much, but am enjoying it so far.

I am creating .. hexipuffs, chunky quilt, phone cover and finally socks. Bought the yarn in Shoreham a few Saturdays ago when we broke our train journey back from Martha's. There was a very large yarn shop there,  Shoreham Knitting and Needlecraft, so bought sock wool. Decided to make both socks simultaneously, found circular needles, off I went but broke the needle pulling the yarn tight to avoid the 'ladder' effect. Found another circular needle, measured carefully, was sure both were same size although different brands (Pony and Knit Pro) and have almost completed 19cms before starting heels. (Knit down, not knit up). Measuring and row counting showed a miniscule difference, so on Pony will probably knit an extra round so knitting is same length.
 
Colour not very good here, the colours are much more vibrant.
Anyway, have bought two pairs of 3.25mm KnitPro symfonie yesterday, the helpful lady in the shop and I decided that there was no need to undo the knitting. It is very difficult to see the difference, but before working the heel I'll transfer both socks to the new needles. As socks will be worn with walking boots or inside ordinary boots it won't notice if there is one extra round on one. After all, my feet and legs aren't exactly the same size.
I am listening ...  well whilst ironing was listening to pod cast of confessions from the Radio 2 Simon Mayo drive time programme. Takes a lot to amuse me, but some of these succeeded.

I am watching ...   Downton Abbey, Great British Bake Off, Who do you think you are?, Love and Marriage: a C20th romance, all whilst knitting.

I am enjoying ...  my efforts at meeting up with friends, some of whom go back to school days. Last week went to Museum of London, saw nothing of the exhibits but spent over 5 hours chatting and catching up with friend who lives up north. Apparently I haven't changed in nearly 50 years!

Learning notes ... Ian received his final TMA for this course today, as he opened the envelope he said that he felt he hadn't done very well. Mmmm, so 77% isn't doing very well. I hope the result gives him confidence for the exam.

On the menu ...  not sure, we have bread I made yesterday and banana bread made the day before. 

On the calendar ...  meeting at Local Studies about the Building our Borough exhibition, although this clashes with a day walk with the walking group. Weather may play a part in choice of which activity I choose to do.   


A picture from last week ...  from our bedroom window showing the more open aspect now Ian has cut down, pruned, pollarded the trees and shrubs in the back garden. Our kitchen is much lighter too, a compensation for the loss of light from next door's extension.





My thanks to The Bookworm from whom I copied this format. Never quite sure whether to make my blog a kind of journal or diary, or a more reflective muse. Think it kindest to make it a chatty journal, rather than a catty view of this parish's recent events and meetings. 

3 comments:

  1. Your blog can be all of that, if you want it to! I enjoy the journal-like ones just as much as the more reflective ones.
    Ah, your mention of the Museum of London made me remember several visits there, which I enjoyed very much.
    Good to see old friends, and congratulations to Ian - 77% is pretty good in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you manage to escape the worst effects of these storms. We've been lucky here -- at least as far as the house -- bit of water in the cellar and a lake in the back garden ...

    I too hate to be 'hemmed' in by clothing and the older I get the more I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - both the book and the film.

    ReplyDelete