Total Pageviews

Friday 13 May 2016

Loose Ends




Today has felt like a day for wrapping up loose ends, the floor was laid in the new bathroom, Builder appeared for snagging and final payment,  dresser drawers were tidied to cries of "Oh, didn't know that was in there" or "Why are we keeping that?" 

So to wrap up a loose end, I had promised a picture of the Hitchhiker scarf being worn, of course now the weather is a bit warm for woolly scarves hence the Summer top:-


The sudden jump in temperatures has meant a quick reappraisal of my wardrobe, lighter weight garments were examined, sighed over in some cases when I realise just how long I have had them. I do have plenty of clothes, some are favourites, some worn occasionally especially if it is a chilly Summer, some are never worn outside the confines of Pixie Towers as they are so ancient and a little dated shall we say. 

When I retired one friend said to me whatever you do, don't get into the habit of slobbing around in jogbots, I haven't for I don't do casual clothes very well, I prefer dresses and cardigans, boosted in winter with thick tights and scarves. This fits our life style, we don't go to dressy events, no one seems to dress smartly for theatre or restaurants. 

What is needed is a decision, do I dump garments I have had a long time and become bored with, then keep a small wardrobe of relatively recent purchases, worn intensely and discarded within two or three years. There will always be classics, like my much loved Burberry trench coat, a white shirt, a handknitted oversized cardigan, jeans that fit sometimes but will stay. Is it noticed if one appears in the same clothes, as a teenager I worried about having enough variety of clothes when I went to work, still haunted by that pointless fear I suspect although I'm not in paid employment now. 

It doesn't seem very green to throw out perfectly wearable clothes, however the hospice charity shop will benefit if I go for the small wardrobe, intense wearing option and have a clear out.  

Another loose end, our push along mower has gone to cut grass in another garden. The mower, a

Husquvarna was bought for £5.00 in the house clearance of a friend's grandmother over 36 years ago, was used regularly until we had a brand new lawn for which we purchased a battery charged mower. A request for a hand push mower was made on our local Freecycle so we let it go.  When our daughter heard she commented the sound of this mower was one of her childhood memories, one rarely hears a hand mower around here in spite of fairly small gardens, it is a pleasant sound of Summer. 

2 comments:

  1. I have the same dilemma with clothes that I can't part with. When I finally bring myself to have a clearout nothing is wasted. Good items go to charity shops and the rest goes into the recycling bin for my local council to turn into insulation. I can't remember the last time I actually bought new clothes. So my big collection is gradually getting smaller and less guilt-inducing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had one mower like that, and I actually liked pushing it around when I grew big and strong enough for it.
    Clothes, especially dresses, are something I really enjoy. Some favourites I regularly wear for many years until they almost fall off me, but I also love new finds which I know will be with me for a long time.
    The last new dress I bought was for my birthday in March. I need business outfits for work, suits and so on, but I like that, too.

    ReplyDelete