Total Pageviews

Monday 20 October 2014

It's so nice to go travelling .....

Yes, we have been travelling, over the seas in a plane to Ireland to Killarney, Ring of Kerry and then Dublin. 

As I didn't kiss the Blarney Stone when we went to Blarney Castle it may be better to post a few photos, some taken with my iPad as well as my traditional camera. Not sure traditional is the right adjective for a camera that doesn't have a roll of film. We were impressed with the widespread availability of Wifi, even in the hotel bedrooms, so I was pleased I had taken my iPad, but regretted I'd forgotten the widget to transfer photos from my camera.  





We travelled to Killarney National Park by horse drawn Jaunting Cars, sitting up front by the driver so had delightful views as Bluebell pulled the car towards Ross Castle. 

In the afternoon, it was a boat trip to Garinish Island, a bonus on the way were seals on a quite small rock, pity the vessels couldn't get nearer. 




For some reason I don't appear to have photos of journey around the Ring of Kerry, there were plenty of Kodak Corner opportunities, instead my memories are of friendly people in towns and villages where we stopped for breaks, clean and tidy settlements with no graffiti. some of the houses reminded me of American style, single storey with three windows, two to one side of the door and one on the other side. The grounds surrounding homes seemed all laid to grass, few flower beds, formal layout  or trees, all very neat and slightly severe.

Next three illustrations are Blarney castle, just to prove we went there whilst transferring from Killarney to Dublin, wouldn't want this post to be a pile of blarney. 





Just thought these Autumn bulbs were beautiful, spotted in the grounds. 

On the penultimate day we decided not to stay with the group who were visiting Wicklow Mountains, some more gardens and a rebuilt stately home but to wander around Dublin on our own. We had been shown Dublin's highlights from the coach, one evening we ate in Madigan's Bar where one of the staff advised us it would be more interesting to see the city. It may be gathered from my witterings that we are townies, not against the countryside as such but sometimes we need a break from viewing countryside from a coach, to look at the architectural details or the plaques of a building, to window shop or people watch. 


Our coffee break was in Dublin Castle, very impressed with yummy cakes everywhere, also wide availability of different teas and coffees in quite remote small places. A short walk brought us to Christ Church Cathedral just five minutes before the daily said Eucharist started at 12.45, it was meant to be, we hastened to the Lady Chapel, the words used were from 1928 service, so familiar from my youth, yet one had to think what the words meant. It is one of our traditions to try to go to church when we are on holiday so playing hookey from the rest of the party played unexpected spiritual dividends. 



Lunch was taken in a cafe called Urban Picnic, the owner and chef made us risotto from scratch, so delicious, his CV was on the back of the menu, he told us he hoped to open a restaurant in London. Great meal, although it must be said it wouldn't be good if one had a tight schedule. The cafe was in St George's Arcade and had been recommended by the owner of a secondhand bookshop in the arcade. He even closed up the bookshop to take us to the cafe, the shop and it's owner recalled a play "The Index has gone fishing" seen on TV once. 
 
Nearby was Powerscourt Centre, a rather upmarket shopping experience, it just happened I knew there was a yarn shop there, This is Knit again friendly staff, I came away with this Dublin Dye Company Yarn with which to make socks, also bought Debbie Bliss DK.  I had taken double knitting yarn leftovers from various projects to crochet whilst travelling, my supplies looked likely to dry up before we returned so chose a lovely scarlet. I will need to make 144 Granny squares for a blanket, this is becoming my travel project once the Beekeeper's Quilt is completed. 




To return to our trip away, just have to add we were fortunate with the weather, we had been delayed out of Heathrow because of rain and high winds, yet until our last day we had mostly good weather until the last day when we visited the Botanical Gardens on the way to Dublin airport. We had a tour, emerged from the glass houses to rain so weren't able to walk around so much time had to spent in the restaurant. 

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you've had a thoroughly enjoyable, interesting and very varied trip. Shame the pictures are so small, are these from your ipad or the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photographs are a mix from camera and iPad, stored on my iPad though. If you are reading this from an iPad can you not expand the pictures? I can on mine, will check on DH's when I have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have an iPad and am reading from my desktop computer. While I can click on the pictures, they do not enlarge, they just remain the same size.

      Delete
    2. So sorry about the small photos, not sure how to enlarge them but will keep trying. Yesterday my ancient lap top was fired up, it worked this time with our new modem but it excruciatingly s l o w . At sometime I will attempt to write my blog on there, will need to put any relevant pictures on the lap top first of course.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to Ireland, always meaning to - looks as if you've had a lovely trip.

    ReplyDelete